- 2 cups of your favorite green olives (i.e. Mediterranean, Middle Eastern or Greek) soaked in water for 10-15 minutes, drained, and chopped (note: the addition of kalamata olives adds flavor and complexity, however, too many can alter the color of your soup)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 8 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 cup Chardonnay or 1/4 cup Dry Sherry
In a large saucepan, saute the onions, garlic, and olive in the olive oil until the onions are transparent. Puree with 1 cup of stock.
Heat oil in the saucepan and stir in flour and red pepper, cooking into a roux. Whisk in remaining stock, and then pour in the puree. Bring to a slow boil, let thicken, then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir in cream and pepper; bring back to a boil, then simmer 5 more minutes. Add wine or sherry and cook for an additional minute. Garnish with extra virgin olive oil and/or finely chopped green olives.
Pair with Hickman Family Vineyards Chardonnay